The very fact that God is called LORD and specifically Jesus Christ is called the Lord points us to the fact we who are His are to serve Him. That’s what lords require and deserve—service.
There are a multitude of reasons as to why we are to serve the Lord, but have you ever considered the adverbs of serving the Lord? Adverbs are those parts of speech that describe actions. They tell us how we are to do something.
These adverbs are of utmost importance because it’s just not enough to serve the Lord. We must serve the Lord in the way that is pleasing to Him, and blessedly, He has not left us guessing but has given us all the adverbs we need in Scripture.
So, serve the Lord...
1. With all your being
- Deuteronomy 10:12, Now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
2. With gladness
- Psalm 100:2, Serve the LORD with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing.
- Daniel 6:16, Then the king gave orders, and Daniel was brought in and cast into the lions’ den. The king spoke and said to Daniel, “Your God whom you constantly serve will Himself deliver you.”
- Daniel 6:20, When he had come near the den to Daniel, he cried out with a troubled voice. The king spoke and said to Daniel, “Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you constantly serve, been able to deliver you from the lions?”
- Zephaniah 3:9, For then I will give to the peoples purified lips, That all of them may call on the name of the LORD, To serve Him shoulder to shoulder.
- Matthew 4:10, Then Jesus said to him, “Go, Satan! For it is written, ‘YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'”
- Matthew 6:24, “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.”
7. Without fear
- Luke 1:74, To grant us that we, being rescued from the hand of our enemies, Might serve Him without fear.
8. In newness of the Spirit
- Romans 7:6, But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.
9. With love
- Galatians 5:13, For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
- Colossians 3:22-24, Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
11. With reward in mind
- Colossians 3:23, Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
12. With a clear conscience
- 2 Timothy 1:3, I thank God, whom I serve with a clear conscience the way my forefathers did, as I constantly remember you in my prayers night and day